§ 408.405. When do we require original records or copies as evidence?

(a) General rule. To prove your qualification for or continuing entitlement to SVB, you may be asked to show us an original document or record. These original documents or records will be returned to you after we have photocopied them. We will also accept copies of original records that are properly certified and some uncertified birth certifications. These types of records are described in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section.

(b) Certified copies of original records. You may give us copies of original records or extracts from records if they are certified as true and exact copies by:

(1) The official custodian of the record;

(2) A Social Security Administration employee authorized to certify copies;

(3) A Veterans Affairs employee if the evidence was given to that agency to obtain veteran's benefits;

(4) An employee of the Veterans Affairs Regional Office, Manila, Philippines who is authorized to certify copies; or

(5) A U.S. Consular Officer or employee of the Department of State authorized to certify evidence received outside the United States.

(c) Uncertified copies of original birth records. You may give us an uncertified photocopy of a birth registration notification as evidence of age where it is the practice of the local birth registrar to issue them in this way.