Military Service

§ 408.420. What evidence of World War II military service do you need to give us?

(a) Kinds of evidence you can give us. To show that you are a World War II veteran as defined in § 408.216, you can give us any of the documents listed in § 404.1370(b)(1) through (5) of this chapter that were issued by a U.S. Government agency. However, depending on the type of document you give us and what the document shows, we may verify your military service, or the dates of your service, with the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Missouri. If we do, we will use the information in NPRC's records to determine whether you meet the military service requirements for SVB.

(b) What the evidence must show. When you file an application for SVB, you must give us evidence of your World War II military service. The evidence you give us must show:

(1) Your name;

(2) The branch of service in which you served;

(3) The dates of your military service;

(4) Your military service serial number;

(5) The character of your discharge; and

(6) If your service was in the organized military forces of the Government of the Commonwealth of the Philippines (including the organized guerrilla forces), the period of your service that was under the control of U.S. Armed Forces.