§ 408.1009. How do you request reconsideration?

(a) When you must file your request. We will reconsider an initial determination if you file a written request within 60 days after the date you receive notice of the initial determination (or within the extended time period if we extend the time as provided in paragraph (c) of this section).

(b) Where to file your request. You can file your request for reconsideration at:

(1) Any of our offices;

(2) The Veterans Affairs Regional Office in the Philippines;

(3) An office of the Railroad Retirement Board if you have 10 or more years of service in the railroad industry; or

(4) A competent authority or agency of a country with which the United States has a totalization agreement (see § 404.1927 of this chapter).

(c) When we will extend the time period to request a reconsideration. If you want a reconsideration of the initial determination but do not request one within 60 days after the date you receive notice of the initial determination, you may ask us for more time to request a reconsideration. You must make your request in writing and explain why it was not filed within the stated time period. If you show us that you had good cause for missing the deadline, we will extend the time period. To determine whether good cause exists, we use the standards explained in § 408.1011.