Help Us Find the Right Payee for You

Advance Designation of Representative Payee

To help protect what is important to you, we offer the option to advance designate a representative payee. Advance designation allows you to designate up to three individuals who could serve as a representative payee for you if the need ever arises.

We offer advance designation to capable adults and emancipated minors who are applying for or receiving Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income, or Special Veterans Benefits. If you become unable to manage, or direct others to manage your benefits in the future, you will have peace of mind knowing that someone you trust may be appointed to manage your benefits for you.

We only contact advance designees if we need to find a representative payee to assist you in managing your benefits. Advance designation is not an appointment of a representative payee, nor is it a power of attorney. It is optional, and you can update or withdraw your advance designation at any time. If you choose to participate, we will send you a notice each year listing your advance designees for your review.

You can submit your advance designation request when you apply for benefits or after you are already receiving benefits. You may do so by direct electronic submission through your personal my Social Security account, by telephone or in person.

If we deny your claim or you stop receiving benefits, your advance designation will remain in our records, so we can access it again if you reapply for benefits, file an appeal, or begin receiving benefits again.

For more information, see What is Advance Designation?