§ 408.820. Will we send you a notice of intended action affecting your SVB payment status?

(a) Advance written notice requirement. Before we suspend, reduce (see subpart E of this part), or terminate your SVB payments, we will send you a written notice explaining our intention to do so, except where we have factual information confirming your death, e.g., as specified in § 404.704(b) of this chapter, or a report by a surviving spouse, a legal guardian, a parent or other close relative, or a landlord.

(b) Continuation of payment pending an appeal. The written notice of our intent to suspend, reduce, or terminate payments will give you 60 days after the date you receive the notice to request the appropriate appellate review. If your benefit payments are reduced or suspended and you file an appeal within 10 days after you receive the notice, payments will be continued or reinstated at the previously established payment level (subject to the effects of intervening events on the payment which are not appealed within 10 days of receipt of a required advance notice or which do not require advance notice, e.g., an increase in the benefit amount) until a decision on your initial appeal is issued, unless you specifically waive in writing your right to continuation of payment at the previously established level in accordance with paragraph (c) of this section. Where the request for the appropriate appellate review is filed more than 10 days after the notice is received but within the 60-day period specified in § 408.1009 of this part, you have no right to continuation or reinstatement of payment at the previously established level unless you establish good cause under the criteria specified in § 408.1011 of this part for failure to appeal within 10 days after receipt of the notice. For purposes of this paragraph, we will presume you received our notice of intent to suspend, reduce, or terminate payments 5 days after the date on the face of the notice, unless there is a reasonable showing to the contrary.

(c) Waiver of right to continued payment. In order to avoid the possibility of an overpayment of benefits, you may waive continuation of payment at the previously established level (subject to intervening events which would have increased the benefit for the month in which the incorrect payment was made, in which case the higher amount shall be paid), after you receive a full explanation of your rights. Your request for waiver of continuation of payment must be in writing, state that waiver action is being initiated solely at your request, and state that you understand your right to receive continued payment at the previously established level.